Reliance Jio is well on its way to meeting its commitment to build a 5G network in major Indian cities by 2023. The telco, which launched its standalone 5G network in October 2022 last year, has reached more than 80 cities across India in three months and will cover more cities in the coming days. Jio recently announced the availability of 5G services in ten Indian cities, including Agra, Kanpur, Nellore, and Ahmednagar.
The Mukesh Ambani-led telecom operator has announced the expansion of its 5G services to additional cities in Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, and Maharashtra. Dubbed Jio True 5G, the new network connectivity is now live in Agra, Kanpur, Meerut, Prayagraj, Tirupati, Nellore, Kozhikode, Thrissur, Nagpur and Ahmednagar. With this, the telco has also announced to become the first and the only operator to launch 5G in the majority of cities in India.
Here is the list of all the cities where Jio 5G is now live.
Jio 5G cities: Full list
- October 4, 2022: Delhi, Mumbai, Varanasi, Kolkata
- October 22, 2022: Nathdwara, Chennai
- November 10, 2022: Bengaluru, Hyderabad
- November 11, 2022: Gurugram, Noida, Ghaziabad, Faridabad
- November 23, 2022: Pune
- November 25, 2022: 33-districts of Gujarat
- December 14, 2022: Ujjain temples
- December 20, 2022: Kochi, Guruvayur temple
- December 26, 2022: Tirumala, Vijayawada, Vishakhapatnam, Guntur,
- December 28, 2022: Lucknow, Trivandrum, Mysuru, Nashik, Aurangabad, Chandigarh, Mohali, Panchkula, Zirakpur, Kharar, Derabassi
- December 29, 2022: Bhopal, Indore
- January 5, 2023: Bhubaneshwar, Cuttack
- January 6, 2023: Jabalpur, Gwalior, Ludhiana, Siliguri
- January 7, 2023: Jaipur, Jodhpur and Udaipur
- January 7, 2023: Agra, Kanpur, Meerut, Prayagraj, Tirupati, Nellore, Kozhikode, Thrissur, Nagpur, Ahmednagar.
How to use Jio 5G
While Jio is the first to deploy 5G, the telecom operator has yet to commercialise it. This means that not all users in Jio 5G cities will be able to connect to 5G. Instead, Jio users in these cities will receive a Jio 5G invite- Jio Welcome Offer, allowing them to connect and enjoy Unlimited Data at speeds of up to 1 Gbps at no additional cost.
How to Get Jio 5G Connected
Jio 5G can only be used with 5G smartphones, so make sure you have one. Furthermore, Jio is collaborating with OEMs to bring Jio 5G support, so check if you have the most recent system update with 5G support or wait for your mobile manufacturer to release it.
Significantly, if you have received the 5G update in your 5G smartphone as well as the 5G welcome offer, you must change the settings on your phone to connect to the new network. To do so, navigate to the Settings menu, then to Network Settings, and finally to 5G.